Leveling the bed is a crucial step to ensuring an even and consistent first layer in the printing process. The first layer of your print is the foundation of your object.
For Gigabot X and Terabot owners, please follow the instructions in your Getting Started Guides.
For GB3+ owners, follow these instructions or refer to the video below to level your bed.
GB2 and GB3 owners may continue reading below the video.
GB2 and GB3 Instructions:
- Apply a liberal amount of grease to the threaded rods that raise and lower the bed.
- Loosen the two (2) M5 x 12 screws affixing the nut cup to the bed side plate 1/8 turn on both the right and left sides.
- Loosen the two (2) M5 x 12 screws 1/8 turn affixing the upper bearing block to the side plate on both the right and left sides.
- Ensure the right and left bed side plates are at the same height by measuring the distance between the top of the Z-axis motor and the bed side plate.
- Using Pronterface, raise the bed halfway up.
- Recheck the wheel tension on the eight V-groove wheels.
- Continue raising the bed to near the top of its travel.
- Recheck the tension of the eight V-groove wheels. If the wheels have become noticeably tighter or looser, it indicates the Z-axis uprights may not be exactly parallel. Using a precision square, check the uprights form a true 90-degree angle to the lower base of the machine.
- Tighten the two (2) M5 x 12 screws affixing the nut cup to the bed side plate on both the right and left sides.
- Tighten the two (2) M5 x 12 screws affixing the upper bearing block to the side plate on both the right and left sides.
- Loosen the two (2) M5 x 12 screws affixing the bed side plates to the bed support rails. Repeat for all four corners.
- Move the bed support rails to the top of the slot, tighten the M5 x 12 screw, and loosen 1/4 turn. Repeat for all four corners.
Leveling the Bed, Part Two:
- Using the supplied dial indicator and dial indicator block, attach the dovetail mount to the dial indicator and tighten. Insert the cylindrical end of the dovetail mount into the dial indicator block and fix it into place using the supplied M3 screw.
- Place the dial indicator block over the head of the main extruder bolt and secure it into place using the second M3 screw.
- Swivel the dial indicator feeler arm to form an approximately 20-degree angle to the bed plate as viewed from the side.
- Ensure the dial indicator feeler arm is lower than the hot end, ensuring it contacts the bed surface before the hot end.
- Place the print head near the center of the table and slowly raise the bed until it contacts the dial indicator, moving the needle approximately 0.010 inches (or approximately 90 degrees of needle movement).
- Using your hand to push on the trolley plate (and not the extruder itself), move the print head near all four corners of the bed.
- Determine the lowest corner. Adjust the bed leveling nut on the underside of the bed to pull the three highest corners of the bed down to make the bed level.
- Repeat this procedure as necessary until the bed is level within 0.005" - 0.007".
- When the bed is level, finish tightening the two (2) M5 x 12 screws affixing the bed side plates to the bed support rails. Repeat for all four corners and verify the leveling has not changed.
- Remove the dial indicator and return it to its case. Remove the screws from the indicator holder block and place all items into the indicator case.
For initial calibration, please proceed to the next calibration step: Setting the Z-Axis Home Position.